Skip to main content

Server Migration

If you're reading this, you're hitting my new dedicated server. The migration wasn't too bad, although I did change the blog database from SQL Server 2000 to MySQL 4.1.7 which was semi-challenging.


ere's the steps I took to migrate from SQL Server to MySQL:

  1. Ran the MySQL script that comes with Ray Camden's blog software to create the database

  2. Downloaded and installed MySQL ODBC driver for Windows on my Windows laptop that I have SQL Server Enterprise Manager installed on

  3. Created a user in MySQL to use for the migration

  4. Created ODBC datasource to the MySQL database

  5. Got an error about the authentication method when I tried to connect via the ODBC driver; this is related to the new password hashing mechanism in MySQL 4.1.

  6. Went to the MySQL command line and reset the user's password to the old hash method:

    SET PASSWORD FOR 'some_user'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('newpwd');

    You have to do this if you want to connect via ODBC!

  7. Created the ODBC connection again--worked this time

  8. Ran the Export DTS in SQL Server EM and pointed to the MySQL database as the destination

Would have been great if it worked, but there was a minor problem of some sort with the tblBlogComments and tblBlogEntries tables. SQL Server EM was throwing an error about not being able to do a BLOB insert ... not sure what that was all about. I thought maybe it had to do with the ntext datatype in SQL Server, but I experimented with changing that to just text (and nvarchar to just varchar) and it didn't help.

I then went through several iterations of exporting the data from SQL Server to a text file and trying to import that directly into MySQL. I didn't ever quite get the right combination of delimiters, text enclosures, etc. to get it to work right. (I tried 4-5 combinations of things and decided to move on--I'm sure this method is possible however.)

So finally I decided to give MS Access a shot as a migration tool. I'm pretty well-known for cursing Access's very existence, but it appears I have found a use for it after all. ;-) I exported the tblBlogComments and tblBlogEntries tables from SQL Server to Access, then used Access to create new tables and export the data to MySQL through the ODBC connection.

The data got there fine, and I just had to do some minor tweaking of datatypes, nullables, add an index, etc. to get the new tables to match the tables created by Ray's script that ships with the blog software. Then I dropped the old tables, renamed the new tables to the correct name, and bingo--everything worked.

As an aside, I like MS SQL Server, but now that I'm on a dedicated server and it's my money going for the software, I opted for MySQL. I'm a big fan and use MySQL a lot anyway, so this was a natural move for me on my personal site. I'm going to be very anxious to try out the new SQL Server Express 2005 once it's available though.


Popular posts from this blog

Installing and Configuring NextPVR as a Replacement for Windows Media Center

If you follow me on Google+ you'll know I had a recent rant about Windows Media Center, which after running fine for about a year suddenly decided as of January 29 it was done downloading the program guide and by extension was therefore done recording any TV shows.

I'll spare you more ranting and simply say that none of the suggestions I got (which I appreciate!) worked, and rather than spending more time figuring out why, I decided to try something different.

NextPVR is an awesome free (as in beer, not as in freedom unfortunately ...) PVR application for Windows that with a little bit of tweaking handily replaced Windows Media Center. It can even download guide data, which is apparently something WMC no longer feels like doing.

Background I wound up going down this road in a rather circuitous way. My initial goal for the weekend project was to get Raspbmc running on one of my Raspberry Pis. The latest version of XBMC has PVR functionality so I was anxious to try that out as a …

Setting Up Django On a Raspberry Pi

This past weekend I finally got a chance to set up one of my two Raspberry Pis to use as a Django server so I thought I'd share the steps I went through both to save someone else attempting to do this some time as well as get any feedback in case there are different/better ways to do any of this.

I'm running this from my house (URL forthcoming once I get the real Django app finalized and put on the Raspberry Pi) using I don't cover that aspect of things in this post but I'm happy to write that up as well if people are interested.

General Comments and Assumptions

Using latest Raspbian “wheezy” distro as of 1/19/2013 (’lll be using Nginx ( as the web server/proxy and Gunicorn ( as the WSGI serverI used heavily as I was creating this, so many thanks to the author of that tutorial. If you’re looking for more details on …

The Definitive Guide to CouchDB Authentication and Security

With a bold title like that I suppose I should clarify a bit. I finally got frustrated enough with all the disparate and seemingly incomplete information on this topic to want to gather everything I know about this topic into a single place, both so I have it for my own reference but also in the hopes that it will help others.Since CouchDB is just an HTTP resource and can be secured at that level along the same lines as you'd secure any HTTP resource, I should also point out that I will not be covering things like putting a proxy in front of CouchDB, using SSL with CouchDB, or anything along those lines. This post is strictly limited to how authentication and security work within CouchDB itself.CouchDB security is powerful and granular but frankly it's also a bit quirky and counterintuitive. What I'm outlining here is my understanding of all of this after taking several runs at it, reading everything I could find on the Internet (yes, the whole Internet!), and a great deal…