Skip to main content

XMLSearch(), Namespaces, and Lack of Namespaces

I ran into a similar issue using xquery in SQL Server, but today I was back on the ColdFusion side of the world and had to fix it slightly differently.


In the application I'm working on I'm processing tons of XML files and depending on how they're generated, they may or may not have a namespace declared. Luckily other than that the XML structure is consistent, but XmlSearch() in CF behaves differently depending on whether or not a namespace is present.


Luckily I came across this post by Jeremy at his aftergeek blog that solved the issue for me (and to reiterate what I said in another post, I'm a bit of an xpath n00b). Using the local-name() function gets at the XML data correctly both when a namespace is present and when it isn't. So where I was previously doing this:



<cfset foo = XmlSearch(myxml, "/*/mynode").get(0).XmlText />



I'm now doing this:



<cfset foo = XmlSearch(myxml, "//*[local-name()='mynode']").get(0).XmlText />



Blogging this mostly so I don't forget myself, but I also thought others might be interested. Time for me to get an xpath book or something and learn this stuff for real. ;-)


Comments



Very useful info Matt thanks for the post.





I thank you.


My forehead thanks you.


My wall thanks you.





I see that this thread is old - but it is clearly not dead. I just wanted to add my two cents:


If you are working with XML from an Excel 2003 Document (which is riddled with namespaces) this is the XML Search code I used to get at a worksheets rows:


subsiteXML = xmlSearch(mapXML, "//ss:Worksheet/ss:Table/ss:Row")


until CF 9 comes out anyways





Thanks Ron--handy tip!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing and Configuring NextPVR as a Replacement for Windows Media Center

If you follow me on Google+ you'll know I had a recent rant about Windows Media Center, which after running fine for about a year suddenly decided as of January 29 it was done downloading the program guide and by extension was therefore done recording any TV shows.

I'll spare you more ranting and simply say that none of the suggestions I got (which I appreciate!) worked, and rather than spending more time figuring out why, I decided to try something different.

NextPVR is an awesome free (as in beer, not as in freedom unfortunately ...) PVR application for Windows that with a little bit of tweaking handily replaced Windows Media Center. It can even download guide data, which is apparently something WMC no longer feels like doing.

Background I wound up going down this road in a rather circuitous way. My initial goal for the weekend project was to get Raspbmc running on one of my Raspberry Pis. The latest version of XBMC has PVR functionality so I was anxious to try that out as a …

Running a Django Application on Windows Server 2012 with IIS

This is a first for me since under normal circumstances we run all our Django applications on Linux with Nginx, but we're in the process of developing an application for another department and due to the requirements around this project, we'll be handing the code off to them to deploy. They don't have any experience with Linux or web servers other than IIS, so I recently took up the challenge of figuring out how to run Django applications on Windows Server 2012 with IIS.

Based on the dated or complete lack of information around this I'm assuming it's not something that's very common in the wild, so I thought I'd share what I came up with in case others need to do this.


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Assumptions and CaveatsThe operating system is Windows Server 2012 R2, 64-bit. If another variant of the operating system is being used, these instructions may not work properly.All of the soft…

Setting Up Django On a Raspberry Pi

This past weekend I finally got a chance to set up one of my two Raspberry Pis to use as a Django server so I thought I'd share the steps I went through both to save someone else attempting to do this some time as well as get any feedback in case there are different/better ways to do any of this.

I'm running this from my house (URL forthcoming once I get the real Django app finalized and put on the Raspberry Pi) using dyndns.org. I don't cover that aspect of things in this post but I'm happy to write that up as well if people are interested.

General Comments and Assumptions

Using latest Raspbian “wheezy” distro as of 1/19/2013 (http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads)We’lll be using Nginx (http://nginx.org) as the web server/proxy and Gunicorn (http://gunicorn.org) as the WSGI serverI used http://www.apreche.net/complete-single-server-django-stack-tutorial/ heavily as I was creating this, so many thanks to the author of that tutorial. If you’re looking for more details on …