Skip to main content

Note to self: Grails integration tests fail with static delcaration before constraints

Ran into this today and it was semi-tough to hunt down so I figured I'd post it since lord knows I'll forget this sometime in the near future.

If you have a class as follows:

class User {
  String firstName
  String lastName

  static constraints = {
  }
}

And an integration test like so:

import grails.test.*

class UserIntegrationTests extends GrailsUnitTestCase {
  void testSave() {
    def user = new User(firstName:'Matt', lastName:'Woodward')
    assertNotNull user.save()
  }
}

You may find Grails throwing this error when you run your integration tests:

No signature of method User.save() is applicable for argument types:() values:[]

Bit of a weird error but from what I can tell, the integration tests don't like the way the scaffolding formats that constraints block. I reformatted without the line break at the tests pass, and now even when I put things back the way they were, the tests pass.

Hope that helps someone else's head and the nearest wall if you're starting to dig deeper into Grails.

Comments

Matthew Woodward said…
When I first started writing this post I thought the static declaration was what was causing the issue, hence the title. Through further experimentation while I was working through this, it doesn't seem to matter that it's static, it just blows up with the default code that's spit out by the scaffolding. Sorry I didn't update the title to make that more clear.
graemerocher said…
If its a unit test (inside test/unit) it will fail with this error, if its an integration test (inside test/integration) it should not. Unit tests require you to use the mocking API (like mockDomain)
Matthew Woodward said…
Thanks Graeme--could have sworn it was my integration test that was failing yesterday, but I did a quick test this morning and the integration test does work OK. Not sure what state things were in with my other app that led me down this path.

Popular posts from this blog

Installing and Configuring NextPVR as a Replacement for Windows Media Center

If you follow me on Google+ you'll know I had a recent rant about Windows Media Center, which after running fine for about a year suddenly decided as of January 29 it was done downloading the program guide and by extension was therefore done recording any TV shows.

I'll spare you more ranting and simply say that none of the suggestions I got (which I appreciate!) worked, and rather than spending more time figuring out why, I decided to try something different.

NextPVR is an awesome free (as in beer, not as in freedom unfortunately ...) PVR application for Windows that with a little bit of tweaking handily replaced Windows Media Center. It can even download guide data, which is apparently something WMC no longer feels like doing.

Background I wound up going down this road in a rather circuitous way. My initial goal for the weekend project was to get Raspbmc running on one of my Raspberry Pis. The latest version of XBMC has PVR functionality so I was anxious to try that out as a …

Running a Django Application on Windows Server 2012 with IIS

This is a first for me since under normal circumstances we run all our Django applications on Linux with Nginx, but we're in the process of developing an application for another department and due to the requirements around this project, we'll be handing the code off to them to deploy. They don't have any experience with Linux or web servers other than IIS, so I recently took up the challenge of figuring out how to run Django applications on Windows Server 2012 with IIS.

Based on the dated or complete lack of information around this I'm assuming it's not something that's very common in the wild, so I thought I'd share what I came up with in case others need to do this.


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Assumptions and CaveatsThe operating system is Windows Server 2012 R2, 64-bit. If another variant of the operating system is being used, these instructions may not work properly.All of the soft…

Setting Up Django On a Raspberry Pi

This past weekend I finally got a chance to set up one of my two Raspberry Pis to use as a Django server so I thought I'd share the steps I went through both to save someone else attempting to do this some time as well as get any feedback in case there are different/better ways to do any of this.

I'm running this from my house (URL forthcoming once I get the real Django app finalized and put on the Raspberry Pi) using dyndns.org. I don't cover that aspect of things in this post but I'm happy to write that up as well if people are interested.

General Comments and Assumptions

Using latest Raspbian “wheezy” distro as of 1/19/2013 (http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads)We’lll be using Nginx (http://nginx.org) as the web server/proxy and Gunicorn (http://gunicorn.org) as the WSGI serverI used http://www.apreche.net/complete-single-server-django-stack-tutorial/ heavily as I was creating this, so many thanks to the author of that tutorial. If you’re looking for more details on …