Skip to main content

OpenBD Google App Engine and cfc's - Paul Kukiel

In my previous OpenBD on Google App Engine post I mention there is no relational database ( yet ) for OpenBD on GAE. There is however the ability to write and save objects directly to Googles Data Store. This sort of feels like working with an ORM but it's even more abstracted as there is not actual database that we can see but we can put objects in this place and run simple queries against the data sets.

Here is a code snippet:

Persisting Data:

  3. cfset v = createObject("component","Visitor").init() />  
  7. cfset v.setFirstName("Paul"/>  
  10.       in a collection called Visitors --->   
  12. cfset googleWrite(v,"Visitors"/>  
  17.       This will return an array of Obhjects ( cfc's ) that are 
  18.       in the datastore in the Visitor collection    --->  
  20. cfquery name="dataStoreQuery">  
  22. select  
  24. from Visitors  
  26. cfquery>  

from Visitors

Notice I must use variable.VariableName rather then cfproperty name="variableName this is explained here.

Here is a small application to demonstrate this in action:

Click Here for a live demo.
( Yes it looks like UniCode just works :) )

Being that it lives on Googles servers the application should be very fast and I expect Googles connections to be very fast you'll notice I do a cfhttp call in every page request you almost don't even notice it's happening.

I really have no metrics to judge/comment on the performance of the datastore but I am working on a project with Rob Parkhill which will make use of the datastore or the SQL engine that's being built so I may have something to report in a few weeks/months.

Here is the official OpenBD wiki entries on the datastore.

Here is the sample app code:


Great intro by Paul to some very slick stuff with OpenBD on GAE! Make sure and read the comments--Vince is working on making this syntax compatible with the ORM functionality in CF 9.


Popular posts from this blog

Installing and Configuring NextPVR as a Replacement for Windows Media Center

If you follow me on Google+ you'll know I had a recent rant about Windows Media Center, which after running fine for about a year suddenly decided as of January 29 it was done downloading the program guide and by extension was therefore done recording any TV shows.

I'll spare you more ranting and simply say that none of the suggestions I got (which I appreciate!) worked, and rather than spending more time figuring out why, I decided to try something different.

NextPVR is an awesome free (as in beer, not as in freedom unfortunately ...) PVR application for Windows that with a little bit of tweaking handily replaced Windows Media Center. It can even download guide data, which is apparently something WMC no longer feels like doing.

Background I wound up going down this road in a rather circuitous way. My initial goal for the weekend project was to get Raspbmc running on one of my Raspberry Pis. The latest version of XBMC has PVR functionality so I was anxious to try that out as a …

Running a Django Application on Windows Server 2012 with IIS

This is a first for me since under normal circumstances we run all our Django applications on Linux with Nginx, but we're in the process of developing an application for another department and due to the requirements around this project, we'll be handing the code off to them to deploy. They don't have any experience with Linux or web servers other than IIS, so I recently took up the challenge of figuring out how to run Django applications on Windows Server 2012 with IIS.

Based on the dated or complete lack of information around this I'm assuming it's not something that's very common in the wild, so I thought I'd share what I came up with in case others need to do this.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Assumptions and CaveatsThe operating system is Windows Server 2012 R2, 64-bit. If another variant of the operating system is being used, these instructions may not work properly.All of the soft…

Setting Up Django On a Raspberry Pi

This past weekend I finally got a chance to set up one of my two Raspberry Pis to use as a Django server so I thought I'd share the steps I went through both to save someone else attempting to do this some time as well as get any feedback in case there are different/better ways to do any of this.

I'm running this from my house (URL forthcoming once I get the real Django app finalized and put on the Raspberry Pi) using I don't cover that aspect of things in this post but I'm happy to write that up as well if people are interested.

General Comments and Assumptions

Using latest Raspbian “wheezy” distro as of 1/19/2013 (’lll be using Nginx ( as the web server/proxy and Gunicorn ( as the WSGI serverI used heavily as I was creating this, so many thanks to the author of that tutorial. If you’re looking for more details on …