Skip to main content

Yet Another PDF/Acrobat Pro Rant

I'm in PDF hell yet again today and had to vent. Now that iText fixed my
searchability problems (CFPDFFORM fail), I'm noticing cases where the font
in particular fields in the generated PDF does not in any way match the
settings that are in the PDF form when you look at the settings in Acrobat.

For example, all the form fields in one of the PDFs I'm working with are
set to font face Times New Roman and "Auto" for the font size. Random
fields here and there show up as Arial instead of Times New Roman and come
out some massive font size, even though other fields with the same amount
(or less) text are a reasonable size and are the correct font face.

Since I only recently figured out how to do mass changes of the font face
on multiple fields (usability fail; and this doesn't work consistently by
any means, but it's faster than doing it one by one), I thought I missed
setting the font face correctly on a field or two. But lo and behold when I
open the PDF form in Acrobat Pro the font is CLEARLY set correctly, yet the
generated PDF still renders the font incorrectly.

All that's bad enough, but the PDF size issue is really starting to kill
me. The particular PDF I'm modifying started out at about 500K in size. I'm
having to experiment with some things to figure out these annoying font
issues, so I changed all the fonts from Times New Roman to Arial, saved the
PDF, and the file size went up to 800K. I then changed the font back from
Arial to Times New Roman (which is what it was originally) and the file
size is now 1MB.

What. The. @$&*.

I'm sure there are stupid subtleties or fancy Acrobat Guru tips and tricks
of which I am woefully unaware but my file size shouldn't grow by 200K
every time I save it, so I'll declare this a "fail" and try to suffer
through. Once I get these god-forsaken things working if I never have to
touch Acrobat the rest of my natural life it'll be too soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing and Configuring NextPVR as a Replacement for Windows Media Center

If you follow me on Google+ you'll know I had a recent rant about Windows Media Center, which after running fine for about a year suddenly decided as of January 29 it was done downloading the program guide and by extension was therefore done recording any TV shows.

I'll spare you more ranting and simply say that none of the suggestions I got (which I appreciate!) worked, and rather than spending more time figuring out why, I decided to try something different.

NextPVR is an awesome free (as in beer, not as in freedom unfortunately ...) PVR application for Windows that with a little bit of tweaking handily replaced Windows Media Center. It can even download guide data, which is apparently something WMC no longer feels like doing.

Background I wound up going down this road in a rather circuitous way. My initial goal for the weekend project was to get Raspbmc running on one of my Raspberry Pis. The latest version of XBMC has PVR functionality so I was anxious to try that out as a …

Setting Up Django On a Raspberry Pi

This past weekend I finally got a chance to set up one of my two Raspberry Pis to use as a Django server so I thought I'd share the steps I went through both to save someone else attempting to do this some time as well as get any feedback in case there are different/better ways to do any of this.

I'm running this from my house (URL forthcoming once I get the real Django app finalized and put on the Raspberry Pi) using dyndns.org. I don't cover that aspect of things in this post but I'm happy to write that up as well if people are interested.

General Comments and Assumptions

Using latest Raspbian “wheezy” distro as of 1/19/2013 (http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads)We’lll be using Nginx (http://nginx.org) as the web server/proxy and Gunicorn (http://gunicorn.org) as the WSGI serverI used http://www.apreche.net/complete-single-server-django-stack-tutorial/ heavily as I was creating this, so many thanks to the author of that tutorial. If you’re looking for more details on …

The Definitive Guide to CouchDB Authentication and Security

With a bold title like that I suppose I should clarify a bit. I finally got frustrated enough with all the disparate and seemingly incomplete information on this topic to want to gather everything I know about this topic into a single place, both so I have it for my own reference but also in the hopes that it will help others.Since CouchDB is just an HTTP resource and can be secured at that level along the same lines as you'd secure any HTTP resource, I should also point out that I will not be covering things like putting a proxy in front of CouchDB, using SSL with CouchDB, or anything along those lines. This post is strictly limited to how authentication and security work within CouchDB itself.CouchDB security is powerful and granular but frankly it's also a bit quirky and counterintuitive. What I'm outlining here is my understanding of all of this after taking several runs at it, reading everything I could find on the Internet (yes, the whole Internet!), and a great deal…