Skip to main content

Fix for Eclipse Menu Issues in Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Edition

This is but one of the many,many reasons I love free software.

In my previous post about Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Edition I pointed out there are some issues with the menus in some applications, which in my case I ran into with Eclipse (actually SpringSource Tool Suite). I posted to the Ubuntu Forums and in no time a kind user pointed me to this bug report (which I somehow missed in my searches before posting to the forums), and also provided the fix for the issue which is simple enough. Basically you just have to tell Ubuntu not to use its own menus when you start the application, so from a terminal you do this to start the app:

UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= /home/mwoodward/sts/STS



Note that there is a space after the equals sign. Of course if you're having this issue with another application you'd just substitute the path to that application where I have /home/mwoodward/sts/STS And you can obviously throw this into a launcher script so you don't have to remember to type this every time.
I was also having problems with the menus on UltraEdit so I was happy to see this fix resolved those issues as well. With a workaround for this issue I now give the Unity interface a grade of a nice solid B as opposed to the C I gave it in my previous post. There are still some quirks here and there but at least now I can use STS without any issue.

I'm always amazed, yet never surprised, at the excellent support available from the community of free software projects. With commercial software you pay for support, and in my experience it isn't very good as a rule, but with free software you have legions of users at the ready to help other users, and you can also pay for commercial support if you so need or desire.

What's not to love?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing and Configuring NextPVR as a Replacement for Windows Media Center

If you follow me on Google+ you'll know I had a recent rant about Windows Media Center, which after running fine for about a year suddenly decided as of January 29 it was done downloading the program guide and by extension was therefore done recording any TV shows.

I'll spare you more ranting and simply say that none of the suggestions I got (which I appreciate!) worked, and rather than spending more time figuring out why, I decided to try something different.

NextPVR is an awesome free (as in beer, not as in freedom unfortunately ...) PVR application for Windows that with a little bit of tweaking handily replaced Windows Media Center. It can even download guide data, which is apparently something WMC no longer feels like doing.

Background I wound up going down this road in a rather circuitous way. My initial goal for the weekend project was to get Raspbmc running on one of my Raspberry Pis. The latest version of XBMC has PVR functionality so I was anxious to try that out as a …

Running a Django Application on Windows Server 2012 with IIS

This is a first for me since under normal circumstances we run all our Django applications on Linux with Nginx, but we're in the process of developing an application for another department and due to the requirements around this project, we'll be handing the code off to them to deploy. They don't have any experience with Linux or web servers other than IIS, so I recently took up the challenge of figuring out how to run Django applications on Windows Server 2012 with IIS.

Based on the dated or complete lack of information around this I'm assuming it's not something that's very common in the wild, so I thought I'd share what I came up with in case others need to do this.


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Assumptions and CaveatsThe operating system is Windows Server 2012 R2, 64-bit. If another variant of the operating system is being used, these instructions may not work properly.All of the soft…

Setting Up Django On a Raspberry Pi

This past weekend I finally got a chance to set up one of my two Raspberry Pis to use as a Django server so I thought I'd share the steps I went through both to save someone else attempting to do this some time as well as get any feedback in case there are different/better ways to do any of this.

I'm running this from my house (URL forthcoming once I get the real Django app finalized and put on the Raspberry Pi) using dyndns.org. I don't cover that aspect of things in this post but I'm happy to write that up as well if people are interested.

General Comments and Assumptions

Using latest Raspbian “wheezy” distro as of 1/19/2013 (http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads)We’lll be using Nginx (http://nginx.org) as the web server/proxy and Gunicorn (http://gunicorn.org) as the WSGI serverI used http://www.apreche.net/complete-single-server-django-stack-tutorial/ heavily as I was creating this, so many thanks to the author of that tutorial. If you’re looking for more details on …