Skip to main content

CFML XMLTransform() and Character Encoding

Quick tip on using CFML's XMLTransform() -- if you see fun weird characters in the output of the transformation like  and you've checked to make sure the response headers from the web server are correctly returning UTF-8, you probably just need to specify the charset of the CFFILE operations when you read the XML and XSLT files from disk.

In my case I was seeing non-breaking spaces being rendered as   which outputs a capital 'A' with a circumflex before the non-breaking space. At first I thought maybe the response from the web server was ISO-8559 for some reason instead of UTF-8 but after verifying that was correct, adding charset="utf-8" to the CFFILE tags that read the XML and XSLT files from disk, all was right with the world.

Comments

Paul Hastings said…
i guess something rubbed off after all ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Installing and Configuring NextPVR as a Replacement for Windows Media Center

If you follow me on Google+ you'll know I had a recent rant about Windows Media Center, which after running fine for about a year suddenly decided as of January 29 it was done downloading the program guide and by extension was therefore done recording any TV shows.

I'll spare you more ranting and simply say that none of the suggestions I got (which I appreciate!) worked, and rather than spending more time figuring out why, I decided to try something different.

NextPVR is an awesome free (as in beer, not as in freedom unfortunately ...) PVR application for Windows that with a little bit of tweaking handily replaced Windows Media Center. It can even download guide data, which is apparently something WMC no longer feels like doing.

Background I wound up going down this road in a rather circuitous way. My initial goal for the weekend project was to get Raspbmc running on one of my Raspberry Pis. The latest version of XBMC has PVR functionality so I was anxious to try that out as a …

Running a Django Application on Windows Server 2012 with IIS

This is a first for me since under normal circumstances we run all our Django applications on Linux with Nginx, but we're in the process of developing an application for another department and due to the requirements around this project, we'll be handing the code off to them to deploy. They don't have any experience with Linux or web servers other than IIS, so I recently took up the challenge of figuring out how to run Django applications on Windows Server 2012 with IIS.

Based on the dated or complete lack of information around this I'm assuming it's not something that's very common in the wild, so I thought I'd share what I came up with in case others need to do this.


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Assumptions and CaveatsThe operating system is Windows Server 2012 R2, 64-bit. If another variant of the operating system is being used, these instructions may not work properly.All of the soft…

Setting Up Django On a Raspberry Pi

This past weekend I finally got a chance to set up one of my two Raspberry Pis to use as a Django server so I thought I'd share the steps I went through both to save someone else attempting to do this some time as well as get any feedback in case there are different/better ways to do any of this.

I'm running this from my house (URL forthcoming once I get the real Django app finalized and put on the Raspberry Pi) using dyndns.org. I don't cover that aspect of things in this post but I'm happy to write that up as well if people are interested.

General Comments and Assumptions

Using latest Raspbian “wheezy” distro as of 1/19/2013 (http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads)We’lll be using Nginx (http://nginx.org) as the web server/proxy and Gunicorn (http://gunicorn.org) as the WSGI serverI used http://www.apreche.net/complete-single-server-django-stack-tutorial/ heavily as I was creating this, so many thanks to the author of that tutorial. If you’re looking for more details on …